Monday, March 2, 2009

Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission

I was asked by Krista Daley, CEO / Director of the Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission, to be a panel member at the Canadian Council of Administrative Tribunals Annual Conference scheduled for Halifax on May 31-June 2, 2009. The other panel member is Prof. Archie Kaiser, of Dalhousie Law School.

I have been asked to discuss how one (me) with a mental illness (depression) dealt with various bureauracies, sort of a consumer's perspective.

I can bring a different view of appearing before tribunals, I suggest. I have appeared before such as a lawyer on behalf of clients; I have sat on the Cape Breton-Victoria Counties Residential Tenancies Board for 7 years and on the Nova Scotia Assessment Appeal Court for a few years; and now, I was before two Bar Committees as the "client / consumer".

As well, Ms. Daley has asked me to speak with the Commission's staff.

It should be interesting indeed.

No comments: