Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update / CMHA National Conference

Well, it's been awhile, actually months, since I last wrote. I stopped writing because I became busy, and I thought, still do, that not many, maybe no one, reads this blog. But, regardless I am back and will try to try to keep this on track.

Now, being busy has been great. Since the last summer, life has steadily improved and proceeded to a place I had not thought.

I spoke at the CMHA National Conference last August. I co-presented, with Fred Armitage, a workshop on depression and recovery. We each spoke for 20 minutes followed by questions / answers for an hour. The audience was very receptive and supportive. It was a great confidence builder to learn that I still had the ability to speak in public, as I had often done as a lawyer.

I also heard from key note speakers and attended some other workshops at the Conference. I learned more about mental illness.

I have to thank Carol Tooton, Executive Director of the CMHA , Nova Scotia Division, for inviting to speak and telling me that I would be accepted. Also, Krista Hooper and Christiana King made be feel very welcome throughout the entire weekend. One has to remember that this was my first public event in over 5 years. I became comfortable in a public setting, it felt real good.

No comments: