Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Nova Scotia Lawyers' Assistance Program (NSLAP)

After writing for the Ontario Lawyers' Assistance Program, I thought, well, I live in Nova Scotia, so, I looked up the NSLAP website (http://www.nslap.ca/) and emailed Deborah Rozee, the Executive Director. Within an hour, she responded and asked me to call her. We spoke that day and discussed the advocacy work I had done. I was travelling to Halifax the following week ( we all need good timing!), so we arranged to meet at lunch on September 23, 2008. I met with Deborah Rozee and Cheryl Canning, the Vice Chair of the NSLAP Committee.

Now, this was an interesting meeting. For me to be having a lunch meeting with two representatives of the Bar Society was a little overwhelming, but I was more excited and keen than nervous. It was a great hour. We discussed my depression and recovery, and my mental health advocacy. They were quite interested, and commented on how honest my writing was. The Bar Society even covered the tab!

They asked if I would like to have an article in the The Society Record, the monthly magazine of the Bar Society, which is sent to all lawyers in the province. I readily agreed.

No comments: