Sunday, May 18, 2008

Even the Youngest Ones Understood

My family provided the best of support. Once I was diagnosed with depression, we all learned in time what steps were necessary for me to get well. It took our wanting to understand what depression is and its impact on my life.

Even the youngest members of my family, my teen aged ( at the time ) niece and nephew came to understand the illness and how to help me. Two instances come to my mind when I think back over the last few years.

Once I started driving again, at times I used to drop off and pick up my nephew at his summer job. One night, his shift finished at midnight, I was there to get him. Even though I was staying at his house, a few days had gone by when we hadn't seen much of each other. As we drove, he asked " So, Keith, how are you doing?". He was truly concerned and wanted to know more then just a response of "good" from me. I told him I was starting to feel well, that a lot had happened in my life, but that I thought my life would get better, with the passage of time, my doctor's help, and especially with family support. I thanked him for his help. His response was simple but spoke volumes, " Well, that's what families do."

My niece gave me a New Yorker Magazine journal for Christmas in 2003. Now, she always has to make a comment that makes the moment. In the journal she wrote " To help keep your thoughts together on the road to sanity. I love you, and I am proud of you."

So, from the minds and hearts of my niece and nephew. They were concerned for me, for my health, and had come to understand depression.

My depression was in the open for all to see. But, the people who came to see it were those who wanted to see it.

No comments: